Memorial Day Party Foods on the Big Green Egg
“In the spring, a young man’s fancy lightly turns to thoughts of…”
Food. Definitely, definitely food.
Smoked, grilled, roasted, or baked, there’s no end to the decadent flavors that can come from your incredibly versatile Big Green Egg. Astound your guests this Memorial Day with these easy party dishes that are jam-packed with flavor as big as the state of Texas!
Appetizer: Smoked Bacon Apple Jalapeño Poppers
Derived from a recipe posted on savvyfork.com. Photo credit garnishwithlemon.com.
10 fresh jalapeño peppers, halved, with seeds and membranes removed
10 thin slices center cut bacon, cut in half
4 ounces reduced fat cream cheese
½ Granny Smith apple, core and seeds removed, finely chopped
3 green onions, finely chopped
Salt and pepper
- Cut the jalapeños in half lengthwise and remove the seeds and membranes.
- Mix together softened cream cheese, chopped apple and green onions and season with salt and pepper.
- Put some of the cream cheese mixture in each jalapeño.
- Wrap half a strip of bacon around the popper and secure it with a toothpick.
- Set your Big Green Egg up for an indirect cook.
- Cook at 275°F for 45 minutes.
Main Dish: Vermont White Cheddar and Pancetta Beef Sliders
Recipe and photo courtesy of www.nibblemethis.com.
1.25 pounds all-natural ground chuck
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
5 slices Vermont white cheddar cheese
5 slices pancetta
5 slider buns
- Set up your Big Green Egg or grill for direct heat, add your griddle (or salt block, skillet, grilling stone, etc.), and preheat to 500°F.
- Lightly mix together the beef, black pepper, and garlic powder. Form into 10 two-ounce balls. Use two plates, a burger press, or a tortilla press to flatten each ball into a 4-inch circle.
- Lightly fry the pancetta on the griddle until crisp, about 45 seconds per side. Remove.
- Place the burger patties on the griddle, close the grill lid, and cook for 90 seconds.
- Flip the patties, season with a little salt, top each with 1/2 slice of cheese and cook until done, another 60-90 seconds.
- Serve by stacking two patties and a slice of pancetta on each slider bun.
Dessert: Patriotic Cherry Pie
Recipe and photo courtesy of biggreenegg.com.
Pie crust of your choice; premade or from scratch
5 cups cherries, pitted (if frozen, bring to room temperature)
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set your Big Green Egg for indirect cooking, using the convEGGtor and stabilize at 375°F/191°C.
- Combine pitted cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine; set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and allow to warm slightly until workable. Roll out dough on a floured surface until it is approximately 13 inches in diameter, or large enough to fit into 9-inch glass pie dish. Transfer dough to pie dish; keep overhang for now.
- Fill unbaked shell with cherry filling and dot with remaining butter.
- Roll out second disc, approximately 13 inches in diameter. May use as is and cover pie or cut into approximately one-inch strips to create a lattice design. (If not using lattice design, make sure to cut ventilation slices in your top crust). Using a knife, cut off excess dough overhang to about ½ inch. Fold edges over and use fork or fingers to crimp the edges.
- Brush top of pie (not edges) with egg wash. Sprinkle with remaining one tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake the pie until golden brown about 45 minutes; cool before serving. Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Let us help you ensure that your party is the talk of the town this Memorial Day. As an authorized dealer, we are your one-stop-shop for all your Big Green Egg needs, including all seven sizes of the Big Green Egg, smoking chips, cookbooks, accessories and a knowledgeable staff who is as passionate about your backyard party as you are. Stop by our showroom this week so that we can help you make your Memorial Day party the social event of the year!